Skip to main content

tv   The Fox News Specialists  FOX News  August 15, 2017 2:00pm-3:00pm PDT

2:00 pm
>> eboni: i am eboni k williams with kat timpf and guy benson. this is "the fox news specialists" ." just a short time ago, president trump unloading on the controversy around his response to this weekend's racist violence in charlottesville, remarks coming amid an infrastructure policy announcement. >> this statement i made on saturday, the first statement, was a fine statement. but you don't make statements that direct unless you know the facts. it takes a little while to get the facts. you still don't know the facts. there was no way of making a correct statement that early.
2:01 pm
i had to see the facts, unlike a lot of reporters. unlike a lot of reporters. i didn't know david duke was there. i wanted to see the facts. the driver of the car is a disgrace to himself, his family, and this country. and you can call it terrorism. you can collect a murder. you can call it whatever you want. i would just call it as the fastest one to come up with a good verdict. that's what i would call it. i watched this closely, much more closely than you people watched it. you had a group on one side that was bad and you had a group on the other side that was also very violent. nobody wants to say that, but i'll say that right now. you have a group on the other side that came charging in without a permit, and they were very, very violent. i have condemned neo-nazis. i have condemned many different
2:02 pm
groups. but not all of those people were neo-nazis, believe me. not all of those people were white supremacist by any stretch. those people were also there because they wanted to protest the taking down of a statue, robert e. lee. excuse me. and you take a look at some of the groups nuc and you know it if you are honest reporters which many cases you're not. many of those people were there to protest the taking down of that statue of robert ely. this week it is robert e. lee. i noticed stonewall jackson is coming down. i wonder, is it george washington next week and thomas jefferson the week after? you really do have to ask yourself, where does it stop. >> eboni: guy benson, i will come to you. i heard the president really doubled down, to me, on his initial response, his saturday response, to this tragedy in charlottesville. i said my piece yesterday and i will double down on it. what struck me the most, and there were a few things.
2:03 pm
when the president says he didn't know david duke was there. but then we see david duke moments on twitter saying "thank you, president trump, for your honesty and courage to tell the truth about charlottesville and condemn the leftist terrorists and black lives matter and antifa." my thought, if the president wants to play dumb around the david duke issue, that's one thing. but when he says he doesn't know he was there and david duke clearly knows who president trump is, at this point, how long does that narrative remain something we can entertain and not flat out laugh at and reject? >> guy: there is a lot to unpack and what we just watched from the president. i've been scrolling through twitter and sing reaction. some in the press are reaching for the smelling salts over everything he said. i think there were some points he made that were legitimate and defensible. where he really lost me was when he was saying and objecting, saying there were some fine people in that protest in charlottesville on the
quote
2:04 pm
alt-right. he was trying to draw out the distinct and between neo-nazis and white supremacists and some of the good people quote-unquote but this was a white nationalist rally. he was talking about the torch evening. they were chanting things like "jews will not replace us." there is nothing good about that. there are many people in america, many of whom i'm sure watching, who have objections to or have columns about taking down the statutes were good people and are not racist but they were not at a white nationalist rally. >> eboni: the initial part of the remarks this afternoon, he said he wanted to get the facts and preserve judgment until he had more facts. i have to say this might be the first time i've heard president trump show that level of restraint around fact gathering. >> kat: is crazy for me to have to comment because i'm still in the phase where i'm wondering if it was actually real life what i just watched. one of the biggest messes i've seen. can't believe it happened. if there's any sort of car
2:05 pm
attack, i'm surprised he didn't say it was a terrorist instead of waiting. this was clearly an islamic terrorist. he's done that before before he's the facts. he is not measured in his criticism. he for aid to take 48 hours, that's something he has never done before. it shouldn't be a bold statement to say a gathering of white supremacist doesn't have good people in it. those are all bad people, period. the fact that that's controversial, i don't know if i should laugh. i have too much eye makeup onto start crying. it's disgusting. >> eboni: i made a personal plea to president trump yesterday. obviously he did not take that to heart. i asked him to call out david duke by name. he said he doesn't know he was there. today's specialist, a former cia middle east analyst, former senior state farm and official in the obama administration and fox news contributor. her specialty, rooting for ohio state football.
2:06 pm
she is a criminal defense attorney, has 11 years of trial litigation experience and represented numerous individuals in federal court cases, but she specializes in collecting sea glass from florida shores. whitney boan is here. thank you for being with us. so much to unpack. what stood out to you whitney? >> whitney: i am with kat. i had a hard time trying to keep it together watching a press conference because it devolves so quickly from good points, like guy said, point like i would like to have the information before i say something. i would like to encourage that for president trump. like he said, it's a new phenomenon. however it was troubling because it became more about statues and being concerned about permits then we are concerned about the fact that we neo-nazi white nationalists threatening the safety of americans based upon their race or their ethnicity or their religion. that's where it went, and he
2:07 pm
refuses to acknowledge that. it's almost like stealing victory from the jaws of defeat. this would have been easy from a p.r. perspective from the beginning if he had said are bad -- nazis are bad. it's not okay and is never going to be okay. i don't support it. i don't care if they have shirts with my name on it or carrying banners with my name on it. it's irresponsible for him to say -- when david duke says i'm encouraging white nationalist and kkk members to carry out president trump's agenda of making america great again and this is what it means and then to stand there and be like, i didn't know david duke was there. it's irresponsible. disappointing. >> marie: i am with everyone else. i think he is doing this moral equivalence and we sought on saturday. he got a lot of pushback for that. yesterday a lot of people said he finally did the right thing, even though a lot of us thought it was too little too late.
2:08 pm
it was an epic meltdown. i don't know why he so -- he fires off tweets. after the merck ceo, took in 15 minutes. i can guarantee you if it would have been a muslim in the car he would've said something right away and it would've been more inflammatory. he would have gone after that person. i think we have to, in this country, there's a lot going on about the statutes. not just charlottesville. lexington, gainesville, florida. i went to uva. i know what's going on there. we need a leader who can help our country navigate through what's a really tough, difficult, complicated set of issues. we don't have that in our president, and it scares me and makes me sad. for every republican the complaints that democrats like me say the party now is in bed, in part, with the kkk and.
2:09 pm
the president is not doing anything to believe otherwise. >> eboni: those pictures were in durham, north carolina. i use to practice law in front of that court room and walked past that statue every day. it's a deep-seated, divisive, powerful issue. >> guy: i think what the president's defenders would say watching the press conferences was she repeatedly specifically attacked nazis and white supremacist. he called the driver of the car a terrorist. my problem at the beginning, lumping in in the salt right pe together and trying to separate who are good and who are bad at a white nationalist rally. to say that he did nothing to dissuade americans that the right doesn't stand forism, that's not fair. to your other points, that statues and the monuments come i don't think the media necessarily helps when immediately, he makes the point
2:10 pm
about washington and jefferson being slave owners and where do you draw the line about who statues you take down, people with blue checkmarks on twitter are saying he is comparing robert e. lee to george washington. that's not a fair assessment of what he is saying. if we want to have a reasonable discussion about some very tough issues, we shouldn't intentionally mischaracterize some of the more reasonable things he is saying while correctly calling out the last reasonable things. >> whitney: the problem is, because of the crazy things he says, the reasonable things get lost and he loses credibility to even be a thought leader. i think while he said bad things about nazis, he tried to balance it and said there were some good people there. the alt-left which is a term i think he invented because i've never heard it, the alt-left is just as bad as the old right. >> guy: the alt-left exists. >> marie: i don't know where
2:11 pm
to start with that. >> kat: they have done bad things and they've been violence. it should be condemned when it occurs. however, someone was murdered at this rally and it was not done by someone on the alt-left. think about if someone you love was killed in the response was a lot of people murder people and it's bad every time. you condemn the murder and their motivation and you examine that issue. >> eboni: you said, god, that the president, and these remarks said, unequivocally called out the driver. i think he said you could call it a murderer. this is what president trump tweeted a year ago. anyone who cannot condemn the hatred of radical islam lacks the moral clarity to serve as our president. for me, it sounded like a lack
2:12 pm
of moral clarity in the president's own words. >> whitney: the president keeps breaking this down into moral equivalence. the outcries, he says this person is a murderer and he may be engaging in terrorism, with the problem becomes is he lacks any real authority, lacks any real passion or belief in a way that americans are looking for in terms of stand up against heat. it's always followed with "but." he said murderer but there were other bad people there. those people are alt-left or liberal or whatever. it lacks any firm statement. eboni, what we need is a president who can stand up and say something that is consistent with what he said a year ago in terms of people who he believes are terrorists on domestic soil are people he believes are terrorists on foreign soil. >> marie: the fbi's put out
2:13 pm
reports about the fastest growing threat of homegrown terrorism is from these extremist white nationalist groups. >> guy: it's a real concern. then you look at situations like the shooting of the baseball field with steve scalise. the vi, it boggles my mind, they called it -- >> eboni: the hypocrisy. >> guy: if you are not including the steve scalise shooting as an act of domestic terrorism, the site what the hell is that about? you can condemn what happened in charlottesville, condemned a hatred of the white nationalist the neo-nazis and then put a period on the sentence and ended there. if we are going to have later a conversation about political violence in this country, you cannot airbrush the violent left out of that conversation. >> eboni: i think that is fair. when it comes to the conservative republican thing, i would never -- and now that you
2:14 pm
did -- i don't put this on republicans or conservatives or on people that hold conservative beliefs. i think that's a miss categorization of their politics. it's a sad day in america that for many, that distinction has become unable to be clear. this rhetoric is a large part of that. >> the leader of the republican party is so wishy-washy. we've all heard what bob dole said when he accepted the nomination. we heard george h.w. bush, ronald reagan, every leader of the republican party when the kkk and white nationalist tried to make common cause during elections have said we don't want any part of this. until donald trump. i was heartened by the senators who came out over the weekend, ted cruz, chuck grassley, orrin hatch. the leader of the party and the leader of our country isn't doing the same thing. that's a problem. >> eboni: i had, a serious potential blow to the conclusion in the allegations of the russia probe. stay with us.
2:15 pm
2:16 pm
before fibromyalgia, i was a doer. i was active. then the chronic, widespread pain drained my energy. my doctor said moving more helps ease fibromyalgia pain. she also prescribed lyrica. fibromyalgia is thought to be the result of overactive nerves. lyrica is believed to calm these nerves. woman: for some, lyrica can significantly relieve fibromyalgia pain and improve function, so i feel better. lyrica may cause serious allergic reactions or suicidal thoughts or actions. tell your doctor right away if you have these, new or worsening depression, or unusual changes in mood or behavior. or swelling, trouble breathing, rash, hives, blisters, muscle pain with fever, tired feeling, or blurry vision. common side effects are dizziness, sleepiness, weight gain and swelling of hands, legs and feet. don't drink alcohol while taking lyrica. don't drive or use machinery until you know how lyrica affects you.
2:17 pm
those who have had a drug or alcohol problem may be more likely to misuse lyrica. with less pain, i can be more active. ask your doctor about lyrica. ♪ ♪ award winning interface. award winning design. award winning engine. the volvo xc90. the most awarded luxury suv of the century. this august visit your local volvo dealer to receive sommar savings of up to $4,500.
2:18 pm
>> kat: a new russia leak might be delivering good news for the trump administration.
2:19 pm
"washington post" reporting that a low-level campaign staffer, george papadopoulos to my head tried to set up meetings between campaign and russian officials. the report which cites camp -- campaign emails. staffers were met with alarm, including then chairman paul manafort, ultimately rejected. new reporting by politicos those the obama administration was warned that russia was moving to disrupt the u.s. political system. those warnings came as early as 2014. >> guy: i think when we are considering the russia issue in the narrative about collusion, it's important to follow the facts. that's one of the reasons why i have supported the special counsel investigation. i was tough on team trump wendy donald junior email train came out.
2:20 pm
this, on the other hand, good news for the trump campaign, countervailing evidence. got far less attention than some of the other bombshells but this shows high-level people in the campaign being repeatedly offered opportunities to meet with russian officials although active labor which in. they said no, they said these are concerns we have. there could be logan act violations. we should talk to our allies in nato before we do anything with the russians. looked like a responsible campaign making sure they are adhering to protocol. this is not unto itself vindication for the entire story from the vantage point of trump but it's a data point it's helpful to their contention there was no collusion. >> eboni: i want to talk to the fellow counselor here, whitney. something that can rebut some of the narratives. at the very least, it points us in another direction. >> is a criminal defense attorney, i loved reading this today.
2:21 pm
and seeing there was actual paper document or in electronic form. they were doing the right thing. they were saying this is not only whines about idea but let's not let donald trump do this. it was well thought out and it helped. i think it doesn't paint the full picture in terms of the entire investigation. that's not done yet, but it's a good point for trump. >> kat: i want to ask you, marie. knowing about russians potentially being interfering in our elections. why wasn't something done? do you have a take on it? >> we were getting warnings as early as 2014. it's when russia went into ukraine. it was clear they were trying to meddle in other countries' affairs. we were getting warnings that cyber activities were wrapping up. we knew they were trying to look at our election system but we didn't have credible, specific
2:22 pm
warnings about how they were going to do weights. we didn't know they were going to target the dnc. we didn't know they were going to work with wikileaks to target john podesta. we didn't have specific information where we were concerned. we raised it with the russians privately a number of times. we try to reinforce our own cyber production for the government. but this is a really tough problem. i read that article thinking i wonder today if the trump administration is maybe learning some of the lessons and putting in place procedures so this can't happen again. i've heard from a number of people that are still in that because they don't consider the russia investigation a serious issue, that they are not doing maybe all they should be prevented from happening again. >> eboni: i don't know. from where i'm sitting, it sounds a little weak but they didn't know specifically. >> well, it's true. >> eboni: we have to know they they -- the nitty-gritty and specifics.
2:23 pm
>> we knew it was a serious problem and we were taking steps. in the cyber world, a lot of these steps, you don't see publicly. we were taking steps. we knew in 2014 they were doing things in ukraine. they were doing things in crimea. we were doing things by the scene but it's difficult when you don't have specific private information. this idea today that some people are saying the obama administration should've been able to stop this, that's not fair. >> kat: we have people on the left speaking passionately about it which almost makes it looks like perhaps they became interested because now it's politically advantageous. it's more of a political issue in about their party resident country. quite frankly, at that always makes me sick. >> guy: this is a president and administration it was very weak vis-a-vis russia in their entire time in office. even before the president took office in 2008, he was week on the invasion of georgia. ridiculed that -- mitt romney.
2:24 pm
there were quoted sources within the political peace say maybe they did a few things but their. they were too lax physical and part of it may have been they decided it was within their interests to soft pedal. >> is someone that was in the administration and did have to work with russia at times, i would strongly disagree that we didn't take it seriously. i would take strong exception with that. for everyone who's concerned about russia, we now have a president who is even softer on them who won't criticize them over anything. i can debate the obama administration until my face turned blue. >> guy: in 2012, what he said to met romney. >> i think 2016 is very different than 2012. yes, russia -- would we have phrased it differently?
2:25 pm
maybe. i will grant you that. >> guy: russia not so bad in 2012, super bad in 2016. >> in 2012, russia was not our top geopolitical fall. four years later, they've done aggressive things, they pushed into eastern europe. >> guy: they were in georgia. >> happened under george w. bush. >> guy: he was not condemning it. >> kat: it's almost as if this issue is too complicated to completely flush out. up next, the justice department to manage data from a major trump resistance website and sparking a big legal showdown. don't go away. binders... done. super cool notebooks... done. that's mom taking care of business, but who takes care of mom? office depot/office max. order online and pickup in store in just one hour. ♪ taking care of business
2:26 pm
what are all these different topped & loaded meals? it's an american favorite on top of an american favorite, alice. it's like labor day weekend on top of the fourth of july. hotdogs. get your favorites on top of your favorites. only at applebee's.
2:27 pm
2:28 pm
adult 7+ promotes alertness and mental sharpness in dogs get your favorites on top of your favorites. 7 and older. (ray) the difference has been incredible. she is much more aware. she wants to learn things. (vo) purina pro plan bright mind. nutrition that performs.
2:29 pm
when they thought they should westart saving for retirement.le then we asked some older people when they actually did start saving. this gap between when we should start saving and when we actually do is one of the reasons why too many of us aren't prepared for retirement. just start as early as you can. it's going to pay off in the future. if we all start saving a little more today, we'll all be better prepared tomorrow. prudential. bring your challenges.
2:30 pm
>> guy: welcome back. the justice department squaring off with a los angeles tech company over anti-trump protesters. federal judge granted a search warrant for the doj allowing it to gather data on everyone who visited one of the major websites used organize anti-trump protests during his inauguration. the doj wants the data to help track down people from antifa and other far left groups. the company fighting back are saying this warrant is overbroad and unconstitutional resisting in court. i am a layperson, not an attorney. 1.3 million people caught up in this. they want data, ip addresses of everyone. in an effort, they say, to crack down on writing. overbroad is aware that comes to mind. >> eboni: let's back it up. classic constitutional law. you've got public safety, which
2:31 pm
is the all-important threshold around any constitutional analysis, making sure people in this country are safe. versus fourth amendment rights against improper and illegal searches and seizures. this gathering of information and jeopardizing people's privacy rights. i would think you want to make we are balancing that in a way that narrowly tailored. i don't think there's anything narrowly tailored about this request. >> two words come to mind, fishing expedition. prosecutorial overreach. >> eboni: bringing me back to those glorious law school days. >> the issue here is not just a fourth amendment and it's not just governmental interest in terms of public protection for the other interests here are the first amendment and exactitude in terms of the language that in this warrant that needs to be scrutinized by a court in terms of the challenges that's been raised.
2:32 pm
seems broad to be like, we need all of your records about everything ever about this website, including every user, even if they deleted a message. their pictures, anything and everything. that's a fishing expedition because there's no rational relationship between everything anyone's ever done on that website and them needing to protect the public. >> eboni: this could look different, let's say there was of particular incidents of violence we can know and .2 that came about from this particular riot from president trump's inauguration that individual, if they wanted to have a fishing expedition around that individual, the website. then your are getting closer to something that could survive constitutional scrutiny. >> kat: this is really freaky. i don't know why there isn't more people being more freaked out about this. i think everyone could agree no one could look at what you do on the internet and think you are a good person. we all look at weird stuff on the internet. everybody does. i don't% of people so they don't want people to know what they
2:33 pm
are doing on the internet. the other 1% said "what's a computer?" i'm serious. this is allowed to happen, i am terrified for the people of the country. civil liberties are dead. >> i agree this is insane. i agree with kat. i don't know why people aren't more upset. i would imagine if this had happened in the last administration, people would be really upset. i want people to get fired up about this. this is insane. >> eboni: that's the sad thing thing. the intersection between actual policy or constitutional integrity and outrage versus the politics. the politics overrides everything nowadays, and it's a sad day. >> kat: we have to be careful not to destroy our own liberty by attempting to say, "for security, security."
2:34 pm
>> security purposes are legitimate. >> kat: i don't think they are. >> constitutional issues are not fully appreciated by the american public. >> guy: good consensus on behalf of the constitution. straight ahead, the mooch telling stephen colbert it's time for steve bannon to be shown the door. is a fresh shake-up imminent? we will discuss when we come back. my belly pain and constipation?
2:35 pm
i could build a small city with all the over-the-counter products i've used. enough! i've tried enough laxatives to cover the eastern seaboard. i've climbed a mount everest of fiber. probiotics? enough! (avo) if you've had enough, tell your doctor what you've tried and how long you've been at it. linzess works differently from laxatives. linzess treats adults with ibs with constipation
2:36 pm
or chronic constipation. it can help relieve your belly pain, and lets you have more frequent and complete bowel movements that are easier to pass. do not give linzess to children less than six, and it should not be given to children six to less than eighteen. it may harm them. don't take linzess if you have a bowel blockage. get immediate help if you develop unusual or severe stomach pain, especially with bloody or black stools. the most common side effect is diarrhea, sometimes severe. if it's severe stop taking linzess and call your doctor right away. other side effects include gas, stomach-area pain and swelling. talk to your doctor about managing your symptoms proactively with linzess.
2:37 pm
2:38 pm
so being cool comes naturally. hmm. i can't decide if this place is swag or bling. it's pretzels. word. ladies, you know when you switch, you get my bomb-diggity discounts automatically. ♪ no duh, right? [ chuckles ] sir, you forgot -- keep it. you're gonna need it when i make it precipitate. what, what? what? >> eboni: welcome back to "the fox news specialists." our specialists are whitney boan and marie harf. let's continue. recent reports are fueling speculation that steve bannon, chief white house strategist, could be out of a job soon. anthony scaramucci, the ousted white house communications
2:39 pm
director, poured gasoline all over that during an appearance on stephen colbert's show last night. >> i got caught on tape saying he was so i have no problem saying that. >> is he going to be gone in the week? >> that is up to the president. if it was up to me, he would be gone, but it's not up to me. >> eboni: the white house is under intense pressure from democrats and other critics to fire bannon. today the leaders in four minority house caucuses sent a letter to glenn estimating the removal of steve bannon along with two other prominent white house aides, stephen miller and dr. sebastian gorka. this afternoon, the president responded to what may be ahead for bannon. >> i like him. he's a good man. he's not a racist, i can tell you that. he's a good person. he actually gets a very unfair press in that regard. but we'll see what happens with mr. bannon.
2:40 pm
he's a good person, and i think the press treats him, frankly, very unfairly. >> eboni: guy, i'm going to let you run with that. >> guy: the formulation, we will see what happens with mr. bannon, is not one that augers particular well for the future of mr. bannon. i could be wrong. we all thought sessions was on his way out, and he's ensconced in that position right now. if you are anthony scaramucci, you just went through many of the most epic flameout in recent political memory. you go on stephen colbert's show. i thought he was sharp, self-deprecating, funny, likable, made some good points, poked fun at himself. i thought it was a good, effective performance from scaramucci. but i was nervous for him. i was actually anxious, i couldn't watch it live as it aired. he did very well. >> eboni: hey, mooch, i wasn't nervous for you.
2:41 pm
i knew you would kill it. what i feel certain of, if steve bannon is to go, it will not be because of pressure from democrats and not because of presumptions about whether or not he's a racist. perhaps if he is the leak, and that's what the mooch and others have insinuated, then possibly that might be bad for his future. >> kat: possibly. however, we all have those friends who we keep around because they know too much. i have three of them at my birthday party every year. they might cause a disturbance. they will cause a bigger disturbance if i cut them loose. i am sort of kidding. i'm totally kidding. i'm sort of kidding. think about the fact that bannon probably knows a lot of he's been closer to him for a while. if he was let go and bama was upset, with the influence he has an immediate, it could look out for president trump. >> eboni: the president said bannon was brought in.
2:42 pm
>> very telling. we know donald trump hates these insinuations that he didn't win this on his own. he went on to say in the press conference "i went through 17 senators and governors before i even brought steve bannon on." basically saying i didn't need him to win this because a lot of the media says steve bannon, this court for media organizations like breitbart or what helped him win the primary spirit >> you are pushing him towards the trap door. >> can you imagine what steve bannon would do in the media if he gets fired. donald trump has to be worried about that right now. i think that's what's going into some of these calculations. >> eboni: i think, whitney, that if it came down to steve bannon and breitbart versus trump and his face, i think trump wins every time. >> i think trump thinks trump wins every time either way. i don't know. i disagree, but i think -- >> eboni: really? you think bannon and the
2:43 pm
breitbart base is stronger than the trump base? >> kat: i think the trump base will stick with trump no matter watch. >> guy: generally that's correct. the one pushback i would give, there was immense pushback on the right against the possibility of losing sessions. that seemed to have had an impact. it's not like trump's entire base, people are concerned if certain folks they like or being edged out. i think you're point to the leaks is the important one. hence he the leaker, it seen as him undermining trump. that's unpardonable. >> it was more telling that trump didn't get rid of sessions because of the congressional pushback. it was when the republicans in congress that don't touch jeff sessions. i think trump believes he has his base no matter what, but that's a premise i'm not sure he
2:44 pm
wants to test heading into an election year in 2018. breitbart and the media world that steve bannon has his finger on, it's incredibly influential. we don't have health care, tax reform, infrastructure, we have seen what can happen. could be a tough election cycle if there's a divorce there. >> eboni: i think president trump comes out on top and that divorce. coming up, kim jong un retreating from his threat to attack guam. is president trump's hard-nosed approach. when this bell rings... ...it starts a chain reaction... ...that's heard throughout the connected business world. at&t network security helps protect business, from the largest financial markets to the smallest transactions, by sensing cyber-attacks in near real time
2:45 pm
and automatically deploying countermeasures. keeping the world of business connected and protected. that's the power of and.
2:46 pm
2:47 pm
the energy conscious whopeople among usle? say small actions can add up to something... humongous.
2:48 pm
a little thing here. a little thing there. starts to feel like a badge maybe millions can wear. who are all these caretakers, advocates too? turns out, it's californians it's me and it's you. don't stop now, it's easy to add to the routine. join energy upgrade california and do your thing. >> guy: kim jong un backing down from his threat to attack guam despite releasing in the image of him reviewing attack plans, the rogue state saying he is going to watch america's behavior more before taking action. former trump campaign manager corey lewandowski giving credit to president trump for calling kym's bluff. >> i am not surprised by this. what we've seen from previous administrations is trying to
2:49 pm
coddle north korea, trying to work with them. what this president said was you don't want to mess with me. he's a man of business. he in general mattis, secretary of defense, they are clear. general mattis said if they launch a missile, it will be a declaration of war. the president was clear that if north korea tried to do something against the united states, he will react swiftly, decisively, and it will be complete annihilation. i don't think they are ready for that. >> guy: those are fair points. let's start with you, marie. kim blinked first. in my mind, there is some vindication for trump's approach. there was a lot of bedwetting in washington about "oh, my gosh, he is saying these incendiary things about north korea. this is irresponsible." seems have broken through to the regime. does the administration get some credit? >> i think president trump might've stumbles way into deterrence. it's currently working. i didn't love the rhetoric but i
2:50 pm
also didn't like it was the worst thing that ever happened on the planet. deterrence worked. they already have missiles, they already have nuclear weapons. deterrence works if they know that if they do something we will destroy them. they are not going to wait that on guam. if they are going to have one shot at taking out an american city, striking the u.s., they are not going to lob a few missiles into the ocean next to guam. they are going to wait to do something else. for the time being, he has sufficiently scare them. they know they will be rained down upon with fire and fury, like the president said. we need to be careful going forward so we are not back in an escalatory place where it feels like it's getting out of control. i think that's where we were last week. we are in a better place today. >> guy: was this fear? >> eboni: probably. i wasn't mad with the president's comments. i think the strategies we've seen before have all epically failed. i don't believe diplomacy -- i like it, i think it's great, don't think it always works, i don't think you can try it with
2:51 pm
some leaders. i think kim jong un is one of them. i really feel that in this moment, i'm okay with crediting president trump. >> guy: whitney, doesn't this bring us closer to a position where the reinstallation of diplomacy as possible? the potential crisis seemed to have passed. north korea said okay. maybe now use the chinese and get them to the negotiating table again. may not work but i think we're in a much better place today that we work two or three days ago. >> i agree with eboni. i am 100% behind trump's statements in terms of this is not a situation where diplomacy was appropriate. we are threatened with nuclear warfare, that was the correct response. however, i do think the problem we are now faced with is that it looks like in some ways that, are we going to follow up on we say things like that? if we are going to go that strong and hard and say fire and fury and and brimstone, we
2:52 pm
better be able to back it up. can't be rhetoric, has to be -- i'm not saying that the thing to do was to go ahead and start a war. that's not what we want if we don't need to go there. if we need to go there, that we need to go there but i think long term i don't know how this will affect diplomacy because those are strong words if you're not ready to back it up. >> guy: that goes to credibility. this is what worries me. there was a piece in "politico" today talking about containment. we heard deterrence there from marie. for years, the u.s. government said it's totally acceptable for the north koreans to have nuclear weapons. we are that about iran as well. i think tehran is watching this and saying is america starting to pivot to containment and acceptance of something they said forever was on acceptable? >> kat: you have seen the shift. if you look at susan rice's comments. in terms of, i have always said
2:53 pm
kim jong un is clearly crazy, a bad dude. he doesn't want to kill himself, and he knows attacking us or attacking one of our territories or allies is literally him committing suicide. >> guy: assured destruction. >> it's not mutual anymore. they can't destroy the u.s. the soviet days, and we called it mutually assured destruction. north korea can't and they know that. a lot of state department or administration people would say publicly it's unacceptable. they need to get rid of their nukes while understanding they're not going to. >> guy: with that, we have to say goodbye to our specialists marie harf and whitney boan. thank you for being here. when we are coming back after this, it's "wait, what." don't go away. i was playing golf a couple days ago...
2:54 pm
love golf. and my friend mentioned a tip a pro gave her. did it help? it completely ruined my game. that advice was never meant for you. i like you. you want to show me your swing? it's too soon. get advice that's right for you with investment management services. but prevagen helps your brain with an ingredient originally discovered... in jellyfish. in clinical trials, prevagen has been shown to improve short-term memory. prevagen. the name to remember.
2:55 pm
a penny it's ourr back to school one cent event at office depot office max. notebooks! one cent! rulers, glue and 12-pack pencils! all one cent each! hurry to office depot office max! ♪taking care of business and it's also a story mail aabout people and while we make more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country, we never forget... that your business is our business the united states postal service. priority: you
2:56 pm
2:57 pm
>> kat: now for our last segment, it's time for... >> "wait, what." >> kat: today has been a news day. i wanted to share something that's not really news. a little kitty cat got very
2:58 pm
scared. detroit tigers foam finger thrown at him. i have one of those foam fingers. everyone who is from detroit and is a tigers fan probably has about 18 of them. sometimes the tigers have made me want to do that. but this kitty should stay loyal and calm down. i could watch that all day. >> eboni: i am seeing lots of beautiful animal videos from you. >> kat: animals can't hurt you the way people can. >> guy: or the way detroit sports can. yesterday, kat brought to our attention the important story about -- nabbed by authorities for robbing a drugstore, and he was identified by his very distinctive facial tattoos. there he is. i made the joke on the air that i had the exact same tattoos. well, twitter is a magical place. we have to think antivirus on
2:59 pm
twitter who, within minutes, came up with this. i think it's a pretty good luck. >> kat: people are going to start saying they got the wrong guide. >> eboni: we all know taylor swift was successful in the lawsuit recently, but the best thing that came of it for me was this good, awful sketch from the courthouse. they do the courthouse sketches. it doesn't really look a lot like taylor swift, you might be thinking. the artist came to his defense and said she's too pretty to draw. her proportions are to even, to equal. it's too symmetric. making her hard to accurately draw. >> kat: what a terrible problem to have. >> eboni: too pretty. >> guy: i think she will shake it off. >> kat: that's all the time we have today. we thank you for watching. make sure to follow us on social media at fncspecialists on
3:00 pm
twitter and facebook. remember, 5:00 will never be the same. "special report" is next. thank you for watching. >> the statement i made on saturday, the first statement, was a fine statement. but you don't make statements that direct unless you know the facts. i want to make sure when i make a statement that the statement is correct. and there was no way, there was no way of making a correct statement that early. you can call it terrorism. you can collect murder. you can call it whatever you want. i would just call it as the fastest one to come up with a good verdict. define all the right. this week it's robert e. lee. i noticed stonewall jackson is coming down. i wonder, is it george washington next week and

1,548 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on